Gemic is looking for culturally aware, intellectually curious and academically talented individuals to assist with semiotics projects in the US on an ad hoc basis.
Gemic is a global growth strategy firm with offices in Helsinki, New York and Toronto. We help some of the largest global companies solve their most difficult strategy challenges.
Gemic has a world class semiotics offer. We use semiotics to uncover the codes of culture – the hidden meanings shaping the lifeworlds of consumers and their relationships with brands. We use these insights to better understand our clients’ challenges, to identify how culture is evolving, and to create platforms for growth that are innovative, future-proofed and culturally resonant.
We wish to build our cultural expertise in the US through connecting with a Semiotics Assistant to work on ad hoc projects. Following a brief from our Semiotics Lead, you will be responsible for collecting ‘cultural texts’ of relevance to the project. Such texts could include things like commercials, products, blogs, news articles, magazines and retail environments. You’ll be responsible for providing an initial interpretation of the texts in a US context in a report. You might also have a role in shaping the final deliverable for the client.
- be a bachelor’s or master’s student or graduate in the social sciences or humanities, with an excellent academic track record
- possess at least a passing knowledge of semiotics (even though a degree in semiotics is not required).
- be highly analytical, rigorous, culturally-aware, with an interest in visual culture.
- be organised, flexible and able to fit a few days’ work in a short period around your studies (we understand that you may have urgent academic deadlines, so we will also be flexible).
- have excellent report-writing skills.
If you’re interested in this role, please send your resume, a sample of your academic work, and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org.